September means that cooler weather is around the corner (hopefully) and football is upon us! After a summer of vacations and kids home from school, now is the time to re-group and get organized for a healthy school year – and Sunday football parties – ahead.
Here are three healthy snacks to enjoy during those fall festivities.
Find more recipes on my Instagram @youcare.selfcare
Buffalo cauliflower wings
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small or
- medium florets (they will shrink when cooking)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I use flax milk)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. each: onion powder, garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- Buffalo sauce (I like a thick sauce like Noble Made or Wing Time brands)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper*.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, flour, spices, and nutritional yeast together to form a thick pancake-like batter. Put the panko crumbs in a separate bowl.
3. Dip florets in batter, then panko, and place on baking sheet. If you have a huge head of cauliflower, you may have to double the batter.
4. Bake 25 minutes until golden brown, crispy and fork tender.
5. Toss baked florets with the wing sauce. Serve with ranch dressing or dip of choice!
- Tortillas or wraps
1. Spread hummus on one half of tortilla. Top with fresh, cut spinach and sliced avocado. Fold in half.
2. Spray a frying pan with avocado oil spray and place in the folded quesadilla. Cover and cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Flip it and cook the other side.
3. Slice and serve with green salsa.
Mediterranean bruschetta with kale pesto
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed
- 2 cups basil
- ¼ cup each: hemp seeds, nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice from one lemon
- ½ tsp. pink salt
- Grilled or roasted zucchini and red peppers (sliced)
- Baguette bread
1. Put the pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Toast baguette bread slices and top with a layer of pesto and the grilled or roasted vegetables.